Get Ready TCI, Lobster Season Is Back As Of August 15th
Fishing interests, restaurants and the general public are reminded of the opening of Lobster Season on Wednesday, August 15th 2018. The season will close on March 31st, 2019.
The Department would like to solicit the cooperation of Fishers and Purchasers in maintaining a healthy and sustainable lobster fishery, and thank everyone in advance for adhering to the guidelines below.
Restrictions relating to crawfish, as per the Fisheries Protection Ordinance, are listed below:
Lobster size restrictions are as follows:
- When whole, a length of 3.25 inches measured from the front of the groove between the horns directly above the eyes, along the middle of the back to the rear edge of the back shell; or
- Fishers are not to remove eggs from egg-bearing crawfish;
- Fishers are not to take or be in possession of moulting / soft-shelled crawfish or crawfish in early stages of spawning (described as appearing ‘tar-spotted’); and
- Fishers are to ensure that the crawfish are landed unharmed and whole after being taken and landed at processing plants or at home, unless processed at sea as per the terms of the processing license.
- When the tail has been separated, a tail weight of 5 ounces whether processed or not;
- Fishers are not to be in the possession of any egg-bearing crawfish;
The Department will continue to implement its enforcement and monitoring measures to support the recovery of the lobster fishery stock which will guide informed management decisions to ensure future sustainability of the industry.
The DECR appeals to citizens, residents and visitors in the Turks & Caicos Islands, to familiarise themselves with and to uphold the Fisheries Regulations, and urges all responsible citizens to call the DECR at 338-4170 or email email@example.com to report any violations.
Image credit @alinasemjonov