The Turks & Caicos Government Release Their March 6th Cabinet Meeting Statement
Turks & Caicos Government Press Release
His Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 6th meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday, 6 March 2019, at the Hilly Ewing Building on Providenciales.
All ministers were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
• Approved a review of the stipend paid by the Government to jurors undertaking jury duty and, in keeping with best practice in the region, to the drafting of a bill to amend the Jury Ordinance to include a provision to obligate employers to continue paying employee salaries during the time they are on jury duty.
• Approved the proposed Companies Ordinance (Amendment of Schedule 1) Order and directed the Attorney General’s Chambers to draft the amendment for execution with a view to commencing the Order as soon as practicable.
• Approved the appointment of Yaa McCartney as the new Chair of the Public Procurement Board for a period of two years. Thanks were expressed to James Astwood for his six years of service as Chair of the Procurement Board.
• Received and reviewed the Third Quarter Report of the financial performance of the Turks and Caicos Government for the period of October to December 2018.
• Approved the establishment of a new Department of Trade following the passage of the 2019/2020 budget.
• Approved a business licence application submitted by Ocean King seeking permission to operate in a restricted business (fishing) under the Business Licensing (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
• Approved the terms of agreement between the TCIG and TVED Ltd. to enter into negotiations for a development agreement to operate the airport on North Caicos subject to further consideration by Cabinet.
• Agreed to the Revenue Department entering into discussions on the development of a Memorandum of Understanding with Airbnb.
• Subject to the granting of applicable licences under strict conditions and subject to the results of a new Environmental Impact Assessment, conditionally approved a planning application from Sun Rise & Set Ltd. and Emerald Point Ltd. for Outline Development Permission to erection a new rock groyne to replace three existing synthetic groynes in Leeward Marina to reduce the erosion of the coastline along Crown Land Parcels 60901/78, 27, 29 and 118.
• Subject to public consultation, agreed to the drafting of amendments to the Residential and Commercial Development Building height and set back standards to include more detailed provision for buildings between 7 and 12 storeys high.
• Noted an update on an action plan by the Department of Environmental and Coastal Resources (DECR) and a number of proposals to address the use of beach accesses.
• Approved recommendations by the Department of Environmental and Coastal Resources in relation to non-contentious issues covered in the public consultation for amendments to the National Parks Order.
• Approved recommendations by the Department of Environmental and Coastal Resources to carry out a comprehensive environmental impact study in relation to contentious issues covered in the public consultation for amendments to the National Parks Order to remove certain areas from Chalk Sound National Park.
• Noted an Information Paper on the medical treatment abroad policy.
• Approved the use of a specified rental space for the Health Regulation Authority.
• Approved the Attorney General Chamber’s recommendation on settlement terms in a Civil Recovery case.
• Approved terms in respect of a request from the United States of America seeking agreement for the Turks and Caicos Islands to denounce any interest in land that was the subject of Bona Vacantia in the interests of settling claims from fraud victims.
• Approved a request from Parrot Cay Hotel Management for concessions on Customs duties in accordance with the Refurbishment Policy. • Approved a Supplementary Appropriation Bill to retire two Contingency warrants being presented to the House of Assembly.
• Approved instructions to the Attorney General’s Chambers to draft the proposed Companies (Amendment to Schedule 3) Regulations.
• Received an update from the Deputy Premier and Minister of Border Control on the recent sloop landing.
• Received a report from the Deputy Governor and Premier on TCI’s participation in the 17th EU Overseas Countries and Territories Forum and ongoing relations with the EU.
• Received an update from the Deputy Governor on the status of the EDF 11 program.
• Received an update from the Attorney General on the TCI Banking Contract.
• Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.