Reusing Your Water Bottle Could Actually Make You Really Sick

I am SO guilty of this


We all know someone who bought a water bottle back in '08 and here we are ten years later with it still going strong.

*Hiding monkey emoji*

While it's great for the environment and all that, the bacteria build up over time can lead to sickness and diarrhoea - not pretty...

Unless you wash your bottles thoroughly, bacteria from both tap water (which seeps into the plastic) and saliva will reproduce inside the bottle, potentially leaving you with gastroenteritis, headaches and vomiting.

And it's leaving it at room temperature which can tempt the bacteria to reproduce and build up a culture that could give you a virus - similar risks to chewing a pen lid!

So should I reuse bottles at all?

If your bottle is washed, rinsed and stored in a fridge - it can be safe, but only for a few times and you certainly shouldn't drink water that's been left in the bottle untouched for days - especially at room temperature.

Written By

Guest Author